Friday, December 11, 2009

Enough For My Hands, Not For My Mouth

Yet another fun time in the bathroom at my temp job!

It's just me and this other woman in the bathroom, and we have both finished our business at roughly the same time. As we stand side-by-side at the two sinks, she keeps pumping the soap dispenser again and again. (I'm thinking 5 or 6 times total.) I shrug it off thinking she's just having trouble getting it out. I pump once, and it's fine, or so I think. She immediately looks over as I'm washing my hands and asks incredulously, "That's all the soap that you need?!"

I fumble with how to respond because I'm suddenly nervous that the hand washing instructions I've learned over a lifetime have somehow lead me down the wrong path. I want to give her a long explanation of the whole friction/sudsing concept, or maybe just tell her that I didn't touch anything super dirty, or maybe tell her how often I wash my hands in a day, but I honestly don't know what her main concern is and I'm wasting water with the more time I think of an explanation (and more importantly, the water was so hot it was scalding my hands).

"I...uh, wipe my hands...together."

And then I bolted. If I see her again I'll remember to keep my hands in my pocket so that she doesn't try to see if they're clean enough for her. I don't think I'd want to touch her anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment