Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Are you in or out?

The other day, I was fortunate enough to have a job interview at a university that included a tour of the department. While walking around the different offices and cubicles, I noticed a full-size refrigerator. I immediately became excited because my last job had very awkward arrangements for lunch: a microwave in the copy room and a micro/fridge combo in my area with the technicality that we weren't really supposed to eat at our desks, otherwise we'd be expected to work during lunch. If not already obvious, the circumstances around any meal are very important to me, and these concerns take precedent above anything else, particularly when considering a new job.

I still long for the office I used to work in while in college which had a whole room devoted to my favorite past-time, lunch, and included a full size fridge, cabinets to keep your tupperware in, and a real table to sit at and enjoy your 30 minutes of unpaid time. In this special room, you could feel free to socialize and eat with no expectation of work and without fear of collecting an entire sandwich's contents within your keyboard. (Don't ask, it's disgusting.)

Anyway, so the other day on this tour, I notice the fridge, but don't see any table. While I understand that it's presumptuous to ask any questions on an interview tour related to what life would be like if I actually had the job and were able to call this tour guide my colleague, I couldn't help myself.

"So, um, do people here tend to go out for lunch or eat in?" (Look how smooth! I did not ask where the lunch table was, or if there was a policy on "no odoriferous foods allowed in the office" like the last place of employment. This question is open enough that plenty of valuable information can be included in the response.)

My tour guide looks back at me and says, "Well, those who are on Weight Watchers typically stay in, but those who really don't care, well, I guess they go out!"

We both share a nervous giggle about this, me trying to hide my "WTF face" and her, well, I honestly don't know. I could guess that she may stay in for lunch. I do hope they offer me the job though because I noticed later that there's a food court within walking distance. Cheap pizza, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment