Thursday, February 5, 2009

Quit Looking at Me Like That

With the freezing weather we've had lately, my car has acted up in different ways. Today, the trunk wouldn't open even though the key turned in the lock easily. Because I was in a parking lot with someone waiting for my spot, I decided to forget the trunk, throw things in the back seat, and off I went.

It wasn't until I was on the highway that I looked to see a light on the dashboard. What's that, car of mine? The trunk is now open while I'm driving? I looked back and realized that with each bump, my trunk was waving hello to the car behind me.

I was hoping I could make it all the way home without being pulled over, and purposefully drove slowly to ease the effects of a bumpy road. As I pulled gently to a stop at a red light, I looked to see that my trunk was at full mast, displaying the contents of my trunk to anyone who'd like easy access. I jumped out of my car as quickly as I could and slammed down the trunk. As I jumped back into the drivers seat and happily noticed that the light was still red, I looked over and saw that the guy in the car next to me had been watching the whole thing with this amused stare. As soon as the light turned green I flew by without a wave goodbye...of any kind.


I have to say that this whole situation does remind me of a time in Vegas. (Now, now, get your mind out of the gutter, thanks).

I was in Vegas with my dad when I was 15 for one of his conventions and I had to entertain myself each morning while my dad was in meetings. As I walked up and down the strip, I realized that I needed a bathroom, and fast! I saw the nearest hotel and speed-walked towards the door. Well, I'll be the first to admit that when a bathroom is on the brain, I really can't focus on much else. I was so determined to make it into the hotel that I didn't realize just how good a job the staff had done of cleaning what I soon discovered -the hard way- was the wall of a revolving door. (Man, that's some good window cleaner!) As I felt the growing bump on my forehead, I felt grateful that at least I had experienced my embarrassment alone.

That's when I passed a group of about 4 or 5 middle-aged men laughing and pointing at me/the revolving door.

"Did you see that girl just walk into the door? She just walked right into it!"

Luckily I found the nearest bathroom very quickly. I was hoping I could put the story behind me, but when I got back, my dad immediately noticed the bulge on my forehead. When I told him the story, I had yet another middle-aged man laughing and pointing.

I spent the rest of the week's mornings by the pool.

1 comment: